Objectives of MUTP
- Bringing down the passengers per 9 coach train to 3000 as against existing 5000.
- Segregate the suburban train operations from main line passenger and freight services.
MUTP Phase I (Rail Component)
5th & 6th Lines Kurla - Thane
Optimization of Central Railway
Optimization of Harbour line
5th line Mahim - Santacruz
Quadrupling of Borivali-Virar section
Optimization of Western Railway
DC to AC Conversion
EMU procurement & manufacture
Stabling lines for EMUs
Maintenance facilities for EMUs
Virar Car shed
Institutional strengthening & studies
Resettlement & Rehabilitation
Infrastructural inputs in MUTP Phase I
- Addition of 93 track kms - base figure 790 kms [Excluding loop line and yards] (34 kms in Thane-Turbhe-Vashi section and 53 kms in Virar-Borivali section under MUTP have since been added).
- Induction of dual voltage 101 new 9-car rakes. 51 on additional account and 50 on conversion account.
- Resettlement & Rehabilitation of about 15,000 Project Affected Households.
- Running of 12-car rakes on all lines (excluding Harbour line) by lengthening of all platforms.
- Achieving 3 minutes headway on all the lines (re-spacing of signaling to be done).
- DC to AC conversion in all suburban sections except Thane-CSTM section. (to be taken up in Phase II).
Benefits of MUTP Phase I
- 550 new trains 25% increase in total trains per day.
- On fast line, all trains will be of 12 cars. On slow line, 20% of trains will be of 12 cars.
- Vehicle kms per day will increase by 33 %.
- Overcrowding during peak hour peak direction will come down from existing, over 5000 commuters to 3600 commuters per 9-car rake.
MUTP Phase II
- 5th & 6th lines CSTM - Kurla
- 5th & 6th lines Thane - Diwa
- 6th line Borivali - Mumbai Central
- Extension of Harbour Line from Andheri to Goregaon
- DC to AC Conversion (CSTM - Thane section)
- Station Improvement and Trespassing Control Scheme.
- Resettlement & Rehabilitation.
- EMU procurement & manufacture.
- Maintenance facilities for EMUs.
- Stabling lines for EMUs.
- Technical Assistance & Institutional Strengthening.
Infrasturctural inputs in MUTP Phase II
- Addition of 88 track kms - existing 790 kms and 93 kms being added in MUTP Phase I.
- 96 new 9-car rakes.
- DC to AC conversion in Thane - CSTM section (172 Track km), completing the DC-AC conversion on Mumbai Suburban system.
- Resettlement & Rehablitation of about 3,000 Project Affected Households.
Benefits of MUTP Phase II
- Will segregate the suburban train operations from the main line passenger & freight services.
- All trains running on the suburban lines will be of 12 car.
- 800 New trains - Increase of 30 % over and above MUTP Phase I.
- Bringing down the passengers per 9 coach train to 3000 as against existing 5000 and 3600 on completion of MUTP Phase I.